Saturday, June 11, 2011

Icky.

I knew I'd end up having to change out my own dressing eventually. I already knew how it'd feel--the incision site's been pretty numb from the beginning, so dressing changes haven't been painful at all. Just creepy.

When the various nurses and doctors were doing their things, all I felt was a sort of tugging, but below the skin.

The Wound Care Center is closed on weekends; so is the Urology office. In a pinch I could hit the Emergency Room, I guess, but this isn't an emergency. It's just a folded piece of alginate carefully teased into the opening, a piece of gauze over that, and an absorbent pad taped over the whole thing to keep it together. The alginate absorbs whatever drainage there is from surrounding tissues.

Doing it myself wasn't as bad as I was thinking it'd be--and I knew it wouldn't be, once I got past the fear and squeamishness.

Only 3 to 5 weeks left....

No comments:

Post a Comment