Thursday, February 28, 2013

Pics of the Day: El Mexicano X-11


Back in September of 2012, an Citation Group member wrote a post asking where to find replacement or reproduction decals for his '85 X-11. It occurred to me that any sign shop with a vinyl printer should be able to run off a set. All they'd need is good photos of the originals.

It also occurred to me that I was bored and wanted a CAD drawing project, and that a sign shop could just use the files and save some time and money. I got with the guy and had him send whatever photos he'd taken of his original decals. His shots were just what I needed--big enough to zoom in on the decals and framed with graph paper:



I fired up QCAD, grabbed my dividers, ruler and reading glasses (someone shrunk the markings on that ruler), and got to work. Each of the decals took about an hour, maybe 90 minutes, from roughing-in to scaling up. For the door and spoiler "X-11" emblems, I drew each of the three shades of gray as separate layers and filled them with RGB matches of the colors:



I sent the guy copies of each as CAD DXF and SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) files and also made copies available to the Citation group...and moved on to other things.

Last week, he sent me pics of his completed car:



Awesome.

2 comments:

  1. I'm interested in getting a set for my car let me know if you are interested in doing it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey,
      Sorry to take so long getting back to you; I hardly ever look at the blog anymore.

      Do you already have the decal files? The Yahoo Group is still there, but not very active.

      There's a Facebook group, too. Much more active. All my files are in the "Files" section all the way at the bottom: https://www.facebook.com/groups/chevycitations/files/

      You'll need to ask to join the group if you're not already joined.

      Delete