Friday, December 28, 2012

Yet another week in the hospital...


I might have known there'd be complications after the hydrocele surgery. A week after the surgery, things started swelling. By Friday Dec. 14th I was running a fever near 104 degrees. I hit the ER, got admitted, and spent the next 10 days in the hospital. I lost track of all the antibiotics that got dripped into me, the names of the nursing staff, the uneaten meals.

I didn't sleep much, couldn't focus well enough to read, and barely used my laptop (that's some pretty serious trouble, there).

Then I had to go BACK into surgery to get the infected stuff taken out. More antibiotics, daily dressing changes, and home on the 24th.

So much for the simple outpatient operation, a couple of weeks' worth of recovery. I don't even know where, how or when things started going bad. They just went bad fast--and this is after an in-hospital outpatient surgery with all the precautions. It just cements my attitude that it's stupid to risk an infection with a "do-it-yourself" approach. DO NOT try it at home.

I'll be getting daily IV antibiotics at least through Jan. 10 and daily visits to the Wound Care Clinic to get the dressings changed. Considering that last year's kidney removal took about 2 months in Wound Care, it might be March before I'm done with them this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment