...and it only took me 6-1/2 months.
Ever since I took to the highways of Florida, Alabama, and Georgia to get my own damn engine thanks to a less-than-helpful...acquaintance, I've had that engine tied down in the back of the Tracker.
It's been entertaining. The tail-dragging Tracker was skittish and threatened to bottom out on every bump.
The original plan was to get the engine out the morning after I got back from Atlanta. Medical stuff and too-cold March weather became medical stuff and too-wet April weather, then I went to San Francisco for a week. All the airport walking kicked my ass...and then it was too hot outside.
It was too hot outside yesterday morning, too, when I finally had enough and dragged myself out to finish the job.
The most difficult part: my new, unused engine hoist was still in pieces, still boxed up, and still in the cellar from the morning I bought it in mid-2011. No way I was going to be able to haul the thing myself, but I'm a pretty smart guy--and modest. Used the Tracker and a tow strap to pull it up.
It might have taken a half-hour without all the medical stuff. Took 2 hours to get this far, with frequent rest breaks. As soon as it was on the ground, I quit and sat in front of a fan for a few hours.
It only took 30 minutes to put the crane together and just a few to spot the Tracker into position.
I'll need to get that blue beast on a stand and safe from the weather in the next day or so. From there I'll be able to start figuring out just what engine I've got.
I'm just glad that road trip's over.
Some curators do artifacts, these ones do geeky memorabilia
24 minutes ago